50 Japan – Did You Know Facts
Japan, the country where you can find mix of the modern and the tradition, place where you will fell like you are in a different world, country that will impress you by the uniqueness of it’s culture.
If you are travel-lover than you must visit Japan.
Find out more about the culture, tradition, uniqueness and history of Japan by reading the following Did you know facts about Japan.
1. Late-night dancing was illegal in Japan until 2015.
2.Japan suffers 1,500 earthquakes every year.
3. Japan has more than 50,000 people who are over 100 years old.
4. Japan has just 2 gun-related homicides per year.
5. The World’s Oldest Company operated in Japan from 578 AD to 2006.
6. Japan consists of over 6,800 islands.
7. Japanese Trains are among the world’s most punctual: their average delay is just 18 seconds.
8. Square Watermelons are grown by japanese farmers for easier stack and store.
9. In Japan there are more pets than children.
10. Japan’s birth rate is so low that adult diapers are sold more than baby diapers.
11. 98% of all adoptions in Japan are of male adults so that family businesses can remain within the family.
12. The Japanese who survived the Titanic crash was called a coward in his country for not dying with the other passengers.
13. In Japan, 90% of mobile phones are waterproof because youngsters use them even in the shower.
14. Japan has 5.52 million vending machines.
15. Sleeping on the job is acceptable in Japan, as it’s viewed as exhaustion from working hard.
16. Countries have abolished the death penalty. Notable exceptions include the U.S., Japan and China.
17. Declawing cats is legal in most U.S. states but banned in at least 22 countries including Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
18. In Korea and Japan, there is a Cat Cafe where you can go to drink coffee and hang out with cats for hours.
19. During WWII, Japan bombed China with fleas infected with bubonic plague.
20. Japan and Russia still haven’t signed a peace treaty to end World War II due to the Kuril Islands dispute.
21. In Japan, teachers and students come together to clean the classrooms and cafeteria.
22. The number of Chinese killed by the Japanese during WWII is greater than the number of Jews killed in the Holocaust.
23. In Japan, 685 kids were rushed to hospitals in 1997 after an intense Pokemon episode that caused dizziness, vomiting and seizures.
24. Around 24 billion pairs of chopsticks are used in Japan each year.
25. In Japan, Ronald McDonald is called Donald McDonald due to a lack of a clear “r” sound in Japanese.
26. In Japan, KFC is a typical feast of Christmas Eve.
27. In Japan, there’s a building with a highway passing through it.
28. In Japan, there’s a festival that is a celebration of the penis and fertility.
29. Black cats are considered to bring good luck in Japan.
30. Many Hot springs and public bathhouses in Japan ban customers with tattoos from entering.
31. In Japan, they use more paper for comics than for toilet paper.
32. There’s an island in Japan that’s full of rabbits.
33. During WWII, Japan received Jewish refugees and rejected the resulting Nazi German protests.
34. In Japan, there’s a train that “floats” above the tracks by magnetism, reaching 500 km/h (311 mph).
35. The biggest Japanese community outside of Japan is in Brazil.
36. If you commit suicide in Japan by jumping in front of a train, the family of the deceased will be charged a disruption fee.
37. There’s a town in Spain where 700 people share the surname “Japon” as they are descendants of 17th-century samurais who stayed there after an embassy returned to Japan.
38. Argentina has the world’s second-highest rate of anorexia, after Japan.
39. Norway introduced Salmon Sushi to the Japanese in the 80s.
40. Most streets in Japan have no name.
41. In Japan, there’s a ‘Crying Sumo’ contest, where wrestlers compete to see who can make a baby bawl first.
42. In Japan, Burger King has an all-black burger.
43. Godzilla is an official Citizen of Japan.
44. The Japanese authorities constructed a fence around a volcano at Mount Mihara to stop a trend of over 2000 people committing suicide by jumping in.
45. Japan has over 70 flavors of Fanta including ‘The Mystery Fruit’, ‘Genius Energy’ and ‘Hip Hop’ flavor.
46. During WWII, a Japanese Consul saved 6,000 Jews from the Holocaust by writing them all Visas to Japan even after the government told him not to.
47. About 1 million Japanese men are estimated to be locking themselves in their bedrooms for years, creating social and health problems, a condition called “Hikikomori.”
48. The 2011 Japan earthquake increased the Earth’s rotation speed, shortening the day by 1.8 microseconds.
49. In Japanese, there are at least 20 different ways to say “sorry.”
50. There were ancient stone tablets in Japan’s 2011 tsunami struck areas with inscriptions “Do not build your homes below this point!”.