22 Texas – Did You Know Facts
Read the following 22 Texas Did You Know Facts before visiting it.
- There exists a massive abandoned supercollider in Texas.
- Texas no longer offers a special “last meal” to condemned inmates. Instead, such inmate is offered the same meal served to the rest of the unit.
- In 1996, a Texas man was bitten by a coral snake. He killed the snake by biting off the snake’s head and used the decapitated body as a tourniquet.
- If Texas was an independent country, it would rank as the world’s seventh largest producer of greenhouse gases.
- In 1962, at the University of Texas at Austin Texas, Janis Joplin was voted “ugliest man on campus”.
- Houston airport received many complaints about baggage wait times. In response, they moved baggage claim further away so that walk was longer than the wait. The number of complaints dropped.
- There is a time capsule, which was buried in 1968 in Amarillo Texas containing the passbook to a bank account with a $10 deposit, expected to be worth $1 quadrillion when it is opened in 2968.
- The fastest road in USA is in Austin Texas. It has a speed limit of 85 mph.
- The song “Deep in the Heart of Texas was banned by BBC “during working hours “on the grounds that “its infectious melody might cause wartime factory-hands to neglect their tools while they clapped in time with the song.”
- There is a dialect of German only spoken in Texas by descendants of German immigrants who settled in Texas the in the mid-19th century.
- Houston, Texas is the only U.S. city without zoning laws.
- The city of Austin, TX was terrorized by a serial killer dubbed “The Servant Girl Annihilator” in the late 1800’s and there are people who believe the same killer went on to become Jack the Ripper several years later.
- Jesse James refused to rob a bank in McKinney, Texas because he liked the chili served there.
- El Paso, Texas is one of the safest big cities in America, despite being across the river from Juarez, one of the most dangerous cities in the world.
- The Dallas Cowboys haven’t played football in Dallas since 1971.
- San Antonio Texas has the highest percentage of gay and lesbian parents in the US.
- Texas uses it’s own power grid, separate from the other 2 which power the Eastern/Western US
- In March 2008, The University of Texas at San Antonio Texas was accused of plagiarizing a portion of Brigham Young University’s honor code related to cheating and plagiarism.
- There is an evangelical church in Dallas, Texas that spent $4.7 million on their privately-owned fish aquarium.
- In 2003, a woman in Fort Worth hit a homeless man with her car. His body became lodged in her windshield. She drove home and then repeatedly visited the man in her garage and even apologized for hitting him. He died several hours later. She was tried and convicted for murder, receiving a 50 year sentence.
- The government South Vietnam continued to exist in exile, based out of Garden Grove, California and Missouri City, Texas. They planned to retake the whole of Vietnam by 2018. It was disestablished in 2013.
- After the 1900 Galveston Hurricane which killed roughly 8,000 people, the authorities had to pass out free whiskey to sustain the distraught men conscripted into collecting and burning the dead. The hurricane remains the deadliest natural disaster in US history.
Read the following 22 Texas Did You Know Facts before visiting it. There exists a massive abandoned supercollider in Texas. Texas no longer offers a special “last meal” to condemned inmates. Instead, such inmate is offered the same meal served to the rest of the unit. In 1996, a Texas man was...world Travelerdidyouknowtravel@gmail.comAdministratorTraveling Facts